Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Review: The Last Princess

* This book comes out May 8th*

Princess Eliza Windsor witnesses her mother's death - a bite of a luscious and rare strawberry. 

Now, in the year 2090, England is failing.  Crops refuse to grow on the infertile land. People are hungry, scared, and angry. Yet, for Princess Eliza, things carry on almost as normal.

One man has risen in the eyes of the people. He's the man responsbile for killing her mother. He's also the man who shoots her father in the middle of a ball.  She watches her father die seconds before fleeing the ballroom. Together her sister, the Queen, and brother attempt to escape the palace. Only Eliza makes it to freedom.

She's determined to save her family. Eliza joins her enemy's training camp where she spends her days training and spying.  She learns the location of the prison where her siblings spend their days.  Can she sneak into the Tower of London and rescue her family? What about the rest of her people? Can she help her people gain access to food and safety? Is her family and her country doomed?

My Thoughts: I really really liked this one. I loved the setting of futuristic England. I loved the royalty angle. I loved Eliza for her bravery and determination. She's strong and feisty. I really liked her best friend Polly - she was loyal, smart, and determined to help her friend. I liked Wesley - he's friendly, knowledgeable, and has family connections. It's a very emotional read - there's love and friendship, anger and hate, sadness and loss, and death and betrayal.  There were moments that I found simply unbelievable  - just a few, but it kept me from loving the book. Still, it's a great read and I think teens will gobble it up. I'm awaiting the sequel!


Cover Thoughts: LOVE IT! The colors draw me in as do the shadows.


Source: Little Brown and Company - THANKS!


Up Next: The sequel comes out in May 2013

2 comments:

Hallie Tibbetts said...

You know, a lot of these books have started to blur together for me, but I think this sounds like one to read. (Thanks for the review!)

La Coccinelle said...

Sounds like a different (and interesting) premise.