Thursday, February 9, 2012

Adult Review: The Duke and I

Violet Bridgerton is one of the society mothers that single men fear. She has eight children and she's determined to see them all marry.

Her oldest daughter Daphne wants to marry. But after two seasons, she's tired of hearing her mother talk about eligible men.  When she does marry, she wants to respect and like her husband. She couldn't live with the four men who have already asked for her hand.

Simon Basset, the Duke of Hastings, has returned to England upon the death of his father. Unfortunately for him, he's inherited his father's title and gained significance in society's eyes. Everyone wants to meet him. Every mother wants her daughter to marry him. Simon hates the limelight and he's not interested in marriage - ever!

Daphne and Simon meet at a ball, quite improperly.  After waltzing  together, they come to an understanding. The agree to a pretend courtship which will allow them to gain relief from mothers. 

Could something actually develop between them?

My Thoughts: I love the Bridgerton family. I love their banter and their wit. I laughed several times while reading. I love the elusive Lady Whistledown who pens a gossip column about those in society. I adored Daphne and Simon. I devoured this book and quickly moved on to book 2. A perfect Regency romance!


Cover Thoughts: Cute


Source: I purchased this on a recommendation from a blogger I met while standing in line at BEA to meet Julia Quinn. She said it was an amazing series and she was right.

1 comment:

Rebs @ Book-Rants said...

Julia Quinn is one of my favorites! Anything that comes out by her is an automatically buy for me. Glad you enjoyed!