Thursday, March 29, 2012

Review: Babe Didrikson Zaharias

I read this book in preparation for my talk at the Sporty Women's Tea and I loved learning about her.  Before reading this book, I knew that she competed in a track meet as the single woman on her team and WON beating teams of women. I did not know that she was a professional billiards, baseball, and basketball player. I didn't know that the US Tennis Association refused to let her play tennis as an amateur because she was a professional in other sports. I didn't know that she went from professional golf player to amateur and back to professional. I didn't realized that she was the first woman athlete to earn 6 figure salary with endorsements and tournament winnings.

I loved learning more about Babe. She was an amazing woman and an awesome athlete. She was determined, disciplined, and competitive. She practiced religiously and excelled at every sport she tried.  This book was well written, interesting, and I devoured it. I don't read many biographies, but this one was excellent.  A great biography for kids, tweens, and even teens.

No comments: