Friday, December 4, 2015

My Reading History: The Early Years


 I was at a YA Librarian day a few weeks back and Teri Lesesne spoke about having everyone in her class create a reading history. It sounded like fun, so I thought I'd give it a try.
I've always been a reader, everyone in my family reads. I have vague memories of going to the library and getting lots of books out as a kid. Libraries have also been a part of me forever.  

A few favorite library books:
Cranberry Thanksgiving: Miss Nelson is Missing! by Harry Allard The kids in Room 207 take advantage of their teacher's good nature until she disappears and they are faced with a vile substitute. | Lexile: 340: The King's Stilts:
Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans -  Nothing frightens Madeline--not tigers, not mice, not even getting sick. To Madeline, a trip to the hospital is a grand adventure. A true classic, Madeline continues to enchant readers more than sixty years after its first publication. A Caldecott Honor Book: All For Fall (1974) by Ethel and Leonard Kessler - Vintage Childrens' Book:

Favorite books at my house:
The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring Lowrey One night a puppy, who is always late coming home, finds there is no dessert for him. | Lexile: 640: Corduroy by Don Freeman: Ernie's Little Lie (Sesame Street Start-to-Read Book):

Favorite book at my grandparent's house:
dragon:

This book made me laugh - every single time. 

I learned to read early in life, thanks for my older sister who would go to school and teach me what she learned. I could read before entering kindergarten. 

In first grade, we had Silent Reading. While some students would grab one or two books from the classroom library, I would grab ten to fifteen books and read the stack during the twenty minutes. 

 This was my favorite book in the classroom library
Grover:

In school, I loved going to the library. I read several of the Betsy books. They spoke to me. My sister's nickname was Betsey and Star and I had the same birthday. I devoured these. They were my first series.

Such a charming series of books! I read these when I was young - my favorite books as a 3rd grader <3:

I became a serial reader and still am to this day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww! Miss Nelson is Missing was one of my favorites too! I missed this blog last month...I was so busy with NaNoWriMo, I couldn't even keep pace with my own reading list, let alone everyone else's. How you managed to blog at all during the month AND win with Chocolates and Everlasting love is beyond me. Congrats though! Feels good to know we're winners :)

Jessica said...

Madeline was (and is) one of my favorite Picture Books! My Mom and I both love it! :)