Thursday, May 31, 2012

Review: The Selection

America's world isn't great, but it isn't bad either. There's always food on the tables. She loves her musical job. She has a secret boyfriend, whom she's planning a life with. But one moment changes all that.

Prince Maxon's looking for a wife and one girl from each province (35 total) will compete for his hand in marriage. America has no interest in throwing her name into the ring, but separately, Aspen and her mother convince her to participate.

America's stunned when her name is announced on the news. She's elevated into society and taken to the Palace with the other girls. There she will meet the Royal family, including the Prince.

In leaving her home, America's heart broke. She needs to stay at the palace to recover from her heartache, but also to help her family financially. The longer she's there, the more money her family receives. They could certainly use the help.

The first night, America befriends the Prince. Her low ranking among society and her beauty make her a favorite with the people. The more time she spends with the Prince, the more her heart starts to unthaw. Could she ever love him?

My Thoughts: I didn't realize this was the start of a new series  and was surprised when it ended, but I'm happy there's more coming. I devoured this book - I could not put it down. 


I really liked this world with the castes and society. I loved how America befriended the Prince and their first moments together. I loved their relationship - their easy manner, their banter, and their honesty. I love how America might be opening his eyes to all the castes of society and the hardship for the lower people. 


I liked America's family, especially her two younger siblings. I found them entertaining. I hope there's more of them in the upcoming books. 


I loved the Palace and the descriptions of the dresses. I liked the other girls, especially Anne, Mary and Lucy (her maids) and Marlee.  


I liked the ending and admired America.


Cover Thoughts: I adore the cover - although I wish it tied into the book. There were so many dresses described...


Source: my Library.


Fun Fact: There's talk of this becoming a show on the CW - which would be cool. They shot the Pilot, but are going back to change things. It's not slated for Fall release, but it might be a mid-season show. 

No comments: