Monday, August 10, 2020

Review: Late to the Party

Late to the Party
Codi doesn't feel like she's lived. It's the summer before her senior year in high school. She and her two best friends do the same old thing. This summer, her friends want to shake things up. But Codi's not sure that she does.

She does know that she's embarrassed that she's never been kissed.

But one night changes everything. Her friends go to a party without her (she declined the invitation). There she meets a few people, crushed over a girl, and bails out her friends.

Now she's hanging out with those new people - and spending time with her crush. But she hasn't told her best friends about her new friends. She's tired of them thinking she's boring and stuck in the same routine. Codi wants to hang out with people who haven't known her forever and don't judge her.
My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this book. I loved the message about how wallflowers can blossom at their own pace. I liked how this book explored the pressure of dating on someone else's timeline. I loved the new friendships forged. I enjoyed Codi's changing relationship with her brother. I felt bad for the friends who felt boxed in and the words they exchanged. But I liked how everyone grew in the process. Being late to the party isn't a bad thing - as long as you arrive.

Cover Thoughts: Cute
Source: My library
Library Recommendation: A great book for your public library collection.

No comments: