Sunday, November 13, 2016

Thoughts on how to move Forward

I've taken a few days to process my thoughts and I'm still in shock. I'll be honest, I NEVER thought this day would come. I thought Hillary would be in the White House come January. And I was wrong. I thought people who see through Trump. I was wrong. I may have lost faith in our country, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be silent. It doesn't mean that I'm going to wait quietly for four years.

Change starts now.

And it starts with all of us, If we want our country to be better and do better, we have to change ourselves.I'ts not going to happen overnight. But I have to do something to make this situation better. Sure it's going to be small, but even a small change can make an impact. What I do isn't going to ripple through the world, but if we all do something to improve someone's lives, than that is powerful.

Yes, I'm very privileged. I realize that. I acknowledge that.

I'd like to that I do good things for others less fortunate that I am. And I do.
I buy food for the food shelter every week
I knit scarves and give them to Holiday baskets in my hometown (I also give them pieces of jewelry I've made)
I donate money when I can to causes
I buy gifts on kids wish list for the Holidays in chain stores
I donate items in the community at events - this year the town where I work had a cool event to make the first day of school great for everyone. Loved this idea. I grabbed a bunch of things on the wish list items.
I desperately try to provide a safe space for teens at the libraries I've worked in - getting books they need, a place for themselves, and someone to just listen and sympathize with them.


But I don't feel like it's enough. I don't feel like I put a dent into anything.

So I'm on the lookout for local organizations where I can volunteer. Where I can do some good, spread some hope, and maybe feel better about the world.

I know I have my limits. I'm an introvert after all, but if we don't start helping to make the changes we want to see in the world, then what's the point of everything? If I have to leave my comfort zone, so be it.  I want to start making changes. I want to help. I want to bring someone hope. Or just make someone's day a little bit easier.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I too am still stunned, but I know inaction isn't the right response. A teenage friend of mine reminded me that all acts of kindness have a ripple effect. It feels small and inadequate, but I know it's true. And it's something I can do everyday. Thanks for your post.

k said...

Look for Pantsuit Nation on Facebook; you may need to find a friend to invite you. People are mobilizing in all kinds of ways and sharing all sorts of information (including groups to volunteer with and support) at the national, state, regional and city/area level.