Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tween Tuesday Review: Savvy

13 is a special birthday for Mibs's family. It's when they get their special supernatural power - their savvy. Sometimes it's something they can't control - like Fish and his ability to control the weather or Rocket who can control electricity.

The night before Mibs's birthday, the phone rings. Her father's been in an accident. Her mother and Rocket head for the hospital leaving Fish, Mibs, Samson, and Gypsy with their grandfather.

On the day of her birthday she wakes up. After the few first moments of the day, she thinks she's figured out her savvy. When the preacher's wife hears, she swoops in to save the day. Only Mibs doesn't want the day saved. She only wants her father back home. During the day, she looks for a way to escape - for a way to reach her father's side.

When a man selling pink Bibles arrives at her party, she jumps into the back of bus -except she's not the only stowaway. Before she knows it, Mibs's is on a journey that will make her savvy clear, that will scare her family, and that will change her.

My Thoughts: I read this for our 4th and 5th grade book club. I enjoyed the story. I really liked the relationship between the two families of siblings. I liked how the secret came out slowly and the families melted together to become friends. I loved the different Savvy. I thought Lester and the waitress were amusing. A sweet tale filled with wonderful descriptions.

Cover Thoughts: I like now that I understand it, but it's not something that captured my interest before I read the book

Source: My Library

1 comment:

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I listened to this one on audio a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed it! It's a great book club pick!