Thursday, October 22, 2020

Holiday Book Review: All I Want for Christmas

 



Leah and her daughter can't wait for Christmas with her grandmother. But when her grandmother dies before Christmas, they're devastated not to have one last Christmas at the planation. Leah and her grandmother have talked about her inheriting the planation, but Leah's stunned to learn that she's only inherited half the house.

She wanted to give her daughter an amazing childhood. Leah wants Sadie to grow up as she did spending summers at the house. Leah's grandmother had a small museum on the property detailing the plantation's history of tobacco farming and slavery. Her grandmother also hosted events, which Leah hoped to continue.

Now, she's not sure what's going to happen. She can't afford to buy out her childhood friend. And he doesn't want to have the property open as a business. Her childhood friend is more than happy to buy her out and the money would help create a wonderful life for Sadie. But Leah's grandmother left the house to both of them for a reason. Can they figure it out before it's too late?
My Thoughts: I enjoyed this book about a single mom working to make life magical for her daughter. She's struggling at the moment, but I admire her determination. I think the plantation's history was handled pretty well - but I would have liked more details, especially about the slaves working the plantation. I loved the idea of a big family Christmas and everyone coming together around the food and fireplace. It seemed magical. I enjoyed the romance between David and Leah - but I really loved the moments between Sadie and David. A sweet holiday romance that will make you want to sit in front of the fire to read.

Cover Thoughts: Charming 
Source: Gifted

No comments: