Saturday, March 12, 2016

Mysterious Saturday Review: On Thin Icing

* Book 3 in the Bakeshop Mystery series *
Winter is tough in Ashland after the tourists leave. The locals come together to support each other. Jules and her mother are looking to branch out their business at Torte, so Jules is happy to receive a catering job.

She and Sterling head to a resort to provide the food for a board retreat. After arrival, they love the kitchen set-up, but it's clear this business might be too much for the owners. The place needs some serious work and the bartender should be fired immediately.

Jules is ready to make the best of the situation. Then her husband arrives, six months after they separated. A major storms hits the resort, knocking out power. To top it off, Jules discovers the body of the bartender stuffed in a freezer.
My Thoughts: I really enjoy this series - for the bakeshop knowledge, the food details, and the small town charm. I like watching the new relationship unfold between Jules and her mother. I like learning more about Jules' past and how it relates to her future. 

I really like how the characters were snowed in for the majority of the novel. It helped build tension in the mystery. You could feel the cold in the air - and of course the warmth of the fire. 

The characters pull the story together and leave you wondering what's going to happen next. I'm eager to see what happens with the Professor and Jules' mother. Jules herself has some life choices to make. I admit that I'm not a huge fan of Carlos, but I'm interested to see what's going to happen next in their relationship. I liked learning more about Sterling; he's a great character. Looking forward to the next book in the series.

Cover Thoughts: Love it -from the winter wonderland to the fireplace - so many details
Source: My Library
Final Thoughts: A mouth-watering read with lots of relationship drama and plot twists to keep you guessing until the very end. 

No comments: