Friday, January 15, 2016

My Reading History: The College Years

 I was at a YA Librarian day a few months back and Teri Lesesne spoke about having everyone in her class create a reading history. It sounded like fun, so I thought I'd give it a try.

New to this post, check out the early yearsmy childhood fiction reads, my middle school reads, and my high school reads

College reading and high school reading blend a bit...

College reading happened mostly in the summer, with the exception of my senior year. I took a children's writing course and we needed to go to the library. So I went to the public library and got myself a card - and wondered why I didn't do that my first year there. Stupid. I spent time reading books again, mostly on the weekends because I was an early riser. I have a hard time remembering most of the books I read, but there are few that stand out.

I also worked in my hometown public library during summer vacations. I remember my father reading an article in the paper about Harry Potter and asking me if I read the books. I hadn't heard of them. The third one was just coming out. I grabbed the first one from the library and started it. At first I wasn't impressed - until I got to the end of the first chapter and the Boy Who Lived.
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)

From my summer readings, I also remember:
The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)

A friend recommended this fantasy series and I fell in love with it.
The Book of Three (The Chronicles of Prydain #1)

I went through a Meave Binchy phase - my two favorites:
Tara RoadEvening Class

I read Rosamunde Pilcher 
Wild Mountain Thyme

I read more LM Montgomery than just Emily. I finished the Anne series (including her daughter's books)
The Blue Castle Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8)

I loved Little Women and read through the others and more of Louisa May Alcott's work
Little MenJo's BoysEight CousinsAn Old-Fashioned Girl

I went to England for a semester abroad and read:
Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1)

Which fueled my love for women's fiction and I tore through several authors:
Good in Bed (Cannie Shapiro, #1)Welcome to Temptation (Dempseys, #1)Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married

No comments: