Thursday, October 25, 2012

Review: Stealing Parker

Parker Shelton is lost after her family was torn apart. Her mom moved in with another woman. Her brother's losing himself in drugs and alcohol. Parker's friends have abandoned her, spreading nasty rumors about her being just like her mother.

Parker retaliates the rumors by making out with several guys, whom she cares nothing about. Everyone things that she sleeps with them all, but she's just happy that she's changed the rumors.

Parker decides to help out and manage the baseball team as a way of hanging out with her BFF Drew. She quit softball because of the hurt she felt when her mom left. She has no idea why God let her family be torn apart.

On the baseball team, she meets a new boy - the new assistant coach. He's fresh out of college and majorly cute. He seems to like her -could she find a lasting relationship with him, even if he's 6 years older?

My Thoughts: It took me a few chapters to get into, but then I was hooked. Parker kept talking to me. I didn't like her at first, but she grew on me. Usually I don't read books with religion or religious undertones, but I really liked how Miranda Kenneally worked religion into the story; how Parker questioned the goodness of religious people. Parker had so much thrown at her. She messes up more than once, but she's just struggling to keep her head above water. While I didn't enjoy watching her struggle (sometimes I want to shake her and say snap out of it), Parker kept me rooting for her. She had good intentions, but sometimes made really bad choices. I loved the combination of sports and romance - it's like a Sarah Dessen book crossed with Mike Lupica. I loved that Jordan and Sam showed up from Catching Jordan. It's an honest book about religion and kindness, a family dynamic that changes, a relationship with an older man, and finding and being happy with your true self. Miranda Kenneally is an author to watch!

Cover Thoughts: perfect
Source: my Library

No comments: