Friday, March 29, 2019

Review: Ana of California

Ana of California








Ana's running out of options; at fifteen she's been in foster care for years. She doesn't last at any of the houses or the group homes. Her case worker has one option left - she can travel north to a farm that needs help.

Ana agrees, although she knows nothing about farming. She lives on the farm with a brother and sister. Abbie's happy to have her, but Emmett doesn't believe she'll be of any help.

She makes several costly mistakes, but she works hard. She begins to enjoy the work and learn to love the farm. Just when she allows herself to hope, trouble finds her once again.
My Thoughts: I really loved this Anne of Green Gables inspired story. I loved being on the farm with Ana and the crew. I enjoyed their chatter and their banter. I loved Abbie and my mouth watered at all her baking. Emmett grew on me too. I love how Ana found herself a friend. I liked the forbidden romance. I liked learning about Ana's past and her time in the foster care system. Reading this one made me want to revisit Green Gables.

Cover Thoughts: Cute
Source: Gifted from my #OTSPsecretsister
Library Recommendation: Grab this one for school and public libraries - not because of the Green Gables inspiration (although adult readers will grab it because of that) but because of the foster family aspect.

No comments: