Thursday, April 22, 2021

Review: Starfish

 


Ellie's so tired of everyone not seeing her and only seeing her weight. She wishes she had support, but even her family criticizes and teases her.  To make matters worse, her best friend moves away. Ellie has her father, but even he turns on her, bringing her to a therapist. 

Ellie shares with the therapist her Fat Girl Rules - the rules she tries to live by. She just wants to live without shame, without ridicule, and with love. Is that really too much to ask?
My Thoughts: I heard really great things about this book - and it did not disappoint. I loved it! 
Some quick thoughts: 
* I wanted to hug Ellie so tight
* I loved her new friend Catalina (and how she made Ellie realize that everyone has their own fight to fight)
* I loved that the library (and the librarian) was her safe place
* I loved the moments with the therapist and how she worked with Ellie to understand her feelings
* I loved the mental health aspect
* I loved that this book is a novel in verse
* I really didn't like Ellie's mother (but I did understand her)
* Her siblings weren't great either (most of the time)
* I loved the new shop her father took her to
* Her father was great!
* I loved how Ellie just wanted to be herself and not be defined by her weight - a great look at weight and children (especially girls) and how damaging it is to value thinness above all else. 
* Debut novel  - I can't wait to see what Lisa Fipps writes next 

Cover Thoughts: Perfect
Source: My Library
Library Recommendation: Highly recommended for your school and public libraries.

1 comment:

Natalie Aguirre said...

So glad you loved Starfish. I've heard great things about it and am waiting for it to come in at my library. Can't wait to read it!