Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Top Ten Tuesdays: Book Buying

This week's topic is about book buying. I'm going to change it up a little and talk about reasons I buy books for the library.


I buy books for children, tween, and teen. Basically for ages birth thru ages 18. 

1. Auto-buy Authors (There are several authors I will always purchase for the library. 
One example: Ally Carter)

2. To fill a hole in the collection. 
Example: I've been working on diversifying the picture book collection.

3. Pop Culture: Books to support the latest blockbuster movie or video game

4. If it looks good: Do judge a book by it's cover

5. If someone asks for more books on X (Example - Sesame Street - we didn't have many books on Sesame Street because they were not being published, but now I'm buying them all up because they go out)

6. Educational: To support the schools. While it's not the public library to support the schools, it's great if we can collaborate together.

7. If it looks fun: the public library is ALL about fun books and reading for fun.

8. Reviews: If the book gets a great review from a library journal

9. If a trusted author recommends it (Through blurbs or social media)

10. If a social media friend (not author but book person / librarian) recommends it.


2 comments:

Lydia said...

This is such a sensible list. It was cool to learn about how librarians choose what to add to their collections.

My TTT .

RS said...

What interesting insight! I especially like #5. It's good to know that recommendations are heard.