Monday, June 24, 2019

Review: Good Enough


Good Enough


Riley's just been admitted to a recovery center for teens with eating disorders. Riley doesn't think she needs to be there. She certainly hates being told when to eat and how much to eat. If she eats too much, she'll gain weight. Gaining weight will make her slower in track. She can't afford to be slower. Riley does hate that everyone's mad at her. No one understands.
My Thoughts: It's hard to say I really liked this book because of the subject matter, but wow, was this book powerful. I didn't want to put it down. I loved how the book was Riley's journal and she detailed her moments in the recovery center - both the good and the bad. It was fascinating to read about her thought process and her understanding of events. I didn't like Riley's parents, but I did love her sister. 

The message about being good enough strikes a chord. We all have flaws; we all wish we were better at something. I'm so guilty of this. I need to be better at owning my skills and using them to the best of my ability. 

Jen Petro-Roy didn't pull any punches, because eat disorders aren't cured, they're managed. But the book ends with hope. 

Clearly this is an important topic that needs to be discussed openly. Our society values ideals that aren't realistic and are harmful, especially for girls and women. The author's note and resources will help readers. 

Cover Thoughts: Not a huge fan, but I understand it better after reading
Source: My Library
Library Recommendation: A must have for both school and public libraries

No comments: