Saturday, April 20, 2013

Adult Review: When Summer Comes

*Book 3 in the Whiskey Creek series*

Callie's spending the summer taking time off. She's hiding devastating news from her friends and family. She needs a liver transplant by the end of the summer or she might no be long for this world.

One night, she hears a commotion outside the farm house. A man's been seriously injured by two dogs. He's wary of the police but needs medical attention. Callie helps him out as best she can. He's too weak to travel and his bike needs repairs.

She makes him an offer he can't refuse. He will help her fix up the farm house in exchange for a place to stay.  As the summer goes on, Callie's health starts to slightly fade. She's still not willing to tell her friends and family and give up her freedom. Her bargain with Levi allows her to live life on her own terms, plus she just might fall in love for the first time.

My Thoughts: The Whiskey Creek novels revolve around a group of friends from high school. They meet each week for coffee - which is nice tradition. Each novel focuses on a different member of the group, but I love hearing about the whole group. Callie's summer plans were bitterweet - as she planned to hide out on the farm where she spent happy days until she could no longer take care of herself. Medically there was nothing she could do to improve her situation; she simply planned on enjoying the time she had left. I liked the interactions between Levi and Callie - they were sweet with each other and teased each other. I enjoyed their blossoming romance. I laughed, I smile, and I cried. I'm looking forward to reading more about this group of friends.

Cover Thoughts: Sweet
Source: My Library

No comments: