Thursday, February 25, 2021

Review: The Comeback


Maxine loves skating; she's hoping to make it to the next level. After that, the Olympics. But it's a lot of pressure and a lot of work. Maxine's parents aren't sure she can handle it all - on top of school. Things at school aren't great with a racist bully making comments. Maxine isn't sure how to handle him, but she's not about to tell her parents. She also isn't about to tell them she feels intimated by the new skater at the rink. This skater has more grace than Maxine and she can jump. With everything combine, it's no one Maxine feels all the feelings these days. But can she block out all the feelings on the day of her competition?
My Thoughts: I'm a huge fan of figure skating and figure skating books. As soon as I saw the cover, I wanted to read this book. And it was really great. I loved the skating parts and learning more about the moves. I wish I could skate like Maxine. (I wish I could skate period - but it's been years and even then I wasn't very good.) I felt bad for Maxine and all that she had to deal with - but she handled it well. I wanted to give her a hug when she faced down her bully. I'm glad that she could speak up, even though it's difficult.  I love how she and Hollie bonded over 90s music. I admire how they came together and became friendship who were very supportive of each other. An #ownvoices story and a great debut! I'm looking forward to reading more by this author. 

Cover Thoughts: Charming
Source: My library
Library Recommendation: A great middle grade sports book for your school and public libraries - highly recommended. 

No comments: