Monday, February 8, 2021

Graphic Novel Review: Measuring Up

 


Cici moved from Taiwan to Seattle. She's desperate to fit in at her new school. But not everyone at school is nice. She no longer brings lunch to school with homemade cooking; she brings peanut butter sandwiches. There are moments of racism and Cici quietly corrects them. Cici does make new friends.

But most importantly, she misses her grandmother. Then Cici learns about a cooking competition. The prize money would be enough to bring her Grandmother over for her 70th birthday. Cici isn't sure that she can win, but she's determined to try her best. She learns American cooking from the library's cookbooks - including Julia Child.

My Thoughts: I really loved this book. I thought the relationship between Cici and her grandmother was really sweet. It made me miss my grandmother. I loved how Cici corrected racism when she heard it. I enjoyed watching both Cici and her parents learn and understand American ways. I loved the cooking competition moments. A great graphic novel!

Cover Thoughts: Cute
Source: My Library
Library Recommendation:  Highly recommended for your school and public libraries

1 comment:

Natalie Aguirre said...

So glad you loved this. I don't read graphic novels but got excited for this one after I interviewed Lily at Literary Rambles. I have it on reserve at the library. You've got me excited to get it.