Saturday, May 9, 2020

Review: Race the Sands

Race the Sands
Everyone in Becar is reborn after death; your goodness in this life will determine your next life. The Augurs can read your fate, which can allow you to change your destiny before it's too late.

Tamra's daughter is studying to be a augur, but the cost of tuition is high. She needs a win - badly. After an incident with her kehok riders leaves her without students, she makes one last desperate plea to her sponsor. As a former elite rider herself, she knows what's needed to train a champion. She just hasn't had the best of luck the last few year.

Luckily, her patroness allows her funds to seek out another kehok and another rider. The choice she makes will change her life...forever.
My Thoughts: I really loved this book for several reasons: for the fierce women, for the world building, for the black lion, and for wanting to make the world a better place. I loved Tamra. She's a great mother figure who wants the best for her loved ones.  I loved her strength, her determination, and her willingness to go after her dreams. I loved Raia for the same reasons. They really did need each other. I loved the twists and turns of this book I never saw coming. I loved the secondary characters from Lady Evara to Dar to Augur Yorbel Although this is a stand alone novel, I wouldn't mind another story set in this world. Another fantastic read from Sarah Beth Durst.

Cover Thoughts: Love it!
Source: ARC for review
Library Recommendation: A great fantasy for the public library's adult collection!

* While this book is labels as an adult book, I would say it's A/YA crossover title.

No comments: