Friday, May 22, 2020

Review: Don't Check Out This Book

Don't Check Out This Book!
Rita B. Danjerous and her daughter May just moved to the sleepytown of Appleton. Rita is the new school librarian and her daughter is in the 5th grade. They stir up the town.

Mrs. Danjerous gets kids reading with her green dot collection - a collection of books that kids don't need to check out of the library. These books contain answers to questions they might find embarrassing. While the students love them, the school board president is not a fan.

In fact, she tries to stop the collection from circulating. While she has a few tricks up her sleeve, she also has her own secrets. Who will win?
My Thoughts: I loved this book. I adored this author and illustrator's series 43 Old Cemetery Road. I loved the puns, the epistolary novel, tethe green dot collection, the friendships (both Rita B. Danjerous and Gladys Friday and Sarah and May). I loved the friendship between the students and how they rallied around books. Another great book for these sister collaborators.  I would love to see these characters again!

Cover Thoughts: Cute
Source: My Library
Library Recommendation: A great book for your school and public libraries - highly recommended!

Also this book is perfect for Banned Book Week and talking about censorship.


No comments: