Thursday, September 26, 2019

Review: Pie in the Sky

Pie in the Sky
Jingwen isn't happy that his family moved to a new country; he feels like he's landed on Mars. He doesn't speak the language and misses home terribly. His mom works all the time and he's stuck watching his little brother most nights.

Finally, they come up with a plan to make themselves feel better - baking the cakes their father was going to use in their bakery. But Jingwen's only eleven and he's not supposed to use the oven. They bake the cakes in secret, but has the secrets pile up, so do all the lies.
My Thoughts: I went into this book thinking it was a graphic novel. And it is partly, but it's mostly prose mixed with graphic elements. I really liked this book, but it was really sad at points which I also wasn't expecting. I enjoyed the brotherly relationship - both the sweet moments and the annoying ones. I loved how the boys made (And ate) the cakes. I liked how Jingwen struggled to make friends. But mostly I just wanted to wrap Jingwen up in a giant hug and tell him things will get better. Of course I wanted to bake all thing things (and eat them) while reading this book.

Cover Thoughts: Cute
Source: My Library
Library Recommendation: A great book for school and public libraries - for the friendship, moving to a new country, and navigating life after the death of a parent. 

No comments: