Monday, June 12, 2023

Graphic Novel Review: Hoops



Indiana 1975 is the start of a ladies' high school basketball team and the start of a state championship.  Judy has always wanted to play basketball but there was never a ladies' team before. She skips cheerleading practice to try-out. But with only 8 ladies interested, everyone makes the team.

At the first game, they find out there are no uniforms. They don't have a bus. They don't have much of anything. But what they do have is heart. The inequality bugs them. But until they have people watching their game, they're forced to deal with it.

So, they try to fill the seats, but it doesn't quite work. How can they move forward when everyone else is holding them back?
My Thoughts: I loved this graphic novel, I couldn't put it down. I loved the struggle these girls faced - both in basketball and in getting respect. I loved their struggles as a team and how they worked through them and showed up for each other. I loved the funny moments - like seeing the camper for the first time. A very inspiring read full of heart, determination, hard work, and friendship. This book is a great introduction to Title IX and equality. 

Cover Thoughts: Great
Source: My library
Library Recommendations: A must have graphic novel for your school or public library collection!

No comments: