Monday, January 16, 2023

Review: Salt and Sugar

 


Lari and Pedro's families own bakeries across the street from each other. They've been feuding for generations. But lately things have gotten worse - much worse. First, Lari's beloved grandmother dies. Second, there's a new box store in town taking away lots of business from both bakeries. They are both struggling to survive.

Lari is tired of her mom always fighting Pedro's mom. They need a plan before both of their bakeries go out of business. Could the answer be in working together? Can Lari trust Pedro with her biggest secret - that she can't bake?
My Thoughts: I loved this book - I was almost late for work twice because I lost track of time while reading it. I loved Lari's secret of no knowing how to cook. I felt terrible for both Lari and Pedro as their families didn't listen to their dreams - only the dreams they had projected for them. I was glad when both of them found their voice. I loved the community moments - but they were also sad too. I loved the friendship moments as Lari finally found herself.  It also made me miss my grandmother. I loved the bond between Lari and hers. This book also made me want to bake something amazing. I can't wait to see what the author writes next! 

Cover Thoughts: Charming
Source: Netgalley ARC / library book
Library Recommendations: Highly recommended for your school and library collections!

1 comment:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I hadn't heard of this book, but it sounds really good. I'll keep my eye out for it when it's published. Thanks. Natalie @ Literary Rambles.