Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Picture Book Wednesday: Biographies


Just a few recent to my library picture book biographies.

I really do enjoy a good picture book biography - they can be so interesting and informative. And they can lead to readers doing more research on the person. 

Mabel saw people figure skating and she was determined to try too. Unfortunately, she grew up in the 1930s and it was hard for a black girl to become a figure skater. But she persisted.

This is the 2nd picture book biography I've read of Mabel Fairbanks. I felt terrible for her and her family troubles. I was impressed by her determination - and her skills. I'm glad that she found Uncle Wally to help her out - and to look after her.  He was clever, kind, and smart. I love that she created her own ice shows and then turned to teaching. I love that she influenced so many skaters.  This book was chock full of information and fascinating. 

Ann Lowe was a talented dress maker and this biography is wonderful.

I read this one just after reading a historical fiction novel about Ann Lowe. It was interesting to see the differences between the two books. This book is marvelous - from the information to the illustrations. I loved seeing a picture of Ann Lowe in the Author's Note. Such talent and determination. I'm so happy to read more about her and her work. 

This snapshot is from Dolores Huerta's childhood.  Life isn't fair but Dolores takes matters into her own hands after witnessing an event. 

I love that - "When you see a problem, fix it. Don't pretend it's not there." What a great message. And what kindness. One voice can make a difference. Lovely book.

Library Recommendations: All three books are highly recommended for your school and public libraries. 

No comments: