Saturday, July 24, 2021

Review: Best Worst Summer


Peyton's not thrilled about summer this year. Her parents just moved their family. She doesn't know anyone in town. And she desperately misses her best friend. When he father suggests weeding their new garden, Peyton discovers a time capsule buried in the backyard.

Figuring out the time capsule leads Peyton to the public library for a cassette player. There she meets a boy, who confides in about the time capsule.  Inside the box, Peyton found an apology and one half of a best friend necklace. Something happened between these two best friends. Peyton's determined to uncover the secret in hope that what happened to those friends Doesn't happen to her and Lily. 

Her new friend agrees to help her figure out the story behind the box. Can they solve the mystery behind the box and the ruined friendship?
My Thoughts: I loved this book. I loved the dual timelines and the dual perspectives. I loved both summers - the one that was going to be the worst but ended up better AND the one that was going to be the best but turned out to be the worst. The time capsule (and the second timeline) are from 1989. I loved the 1989 references - to music, fashion, and slang. It put me right back in my childhood - probably around the same age as Jessica and Melissa. It was interested to see the town from both timelines - to see what changed and what remained the same. I loved the friendship moments and the parallels between the two friendships years apart. I'm a huge fan of the author's work, so I wasn't surprised to love this book. If you're a 90s kid, this book is for YOU!

Of course, I loved to NKOTB mentions. How can you not love these killer dance moves?

Cover Thoughts: Cute
Source: My library
Library Recommendation: A great friendship story for your school and public libraries - Highly Recommended. 

No comments: