Thursday, September 27, 2018

Review: Parker Inheritance

The Parker Inheritance
Candice isn't thrilled that she and her mom moved for the summer. Things change when she finds a letter to her from her grandmother hidden in the attic - in an old puzzle book.  The letter talks about a treasure hidden in town and it's part of the reason her grandmother was fired and moved away in disgrace.

With the help of her new friend, Candice starts investigating the town, it's people, and the link to the treasure. Could she be the one to uncover the treasure? Is there really a treasure?
My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this book. I loved Candice and Brandon's friendship - how easy it came to them and then how they worked at it. I loved the scavenger hunt about the town. I liked learning about the town's history - even though it was heart-wrenching from discrimination to police behaving badly to horrific events. I really liked Siobhan's story; I wanted to read more about her. I loved how the two kids dug into research from family and town history, local museums, and the library. While at the core of this book lies a treasure hunt, it's about SO much more. This book spoke volumes about race relationships, bullying, kindness, family, and friendship. 

Cover Thoughts: Cute, I love the two halves of the cover, it really reflects the book's two stories.
Source: My Library
Library Recommendation: A must have book for school and public libraries.

No comments: