Saturday, September 29, 2018

Why I Now Talk Politics

I didn't used to talk politics; I didn't even know much about them. I've been a registered Democrat my entire voting career and I did always vote. There used to be only two issues that I required candidates to think my way on: Roe V. Wade and library funding. I didn't mind crossing party lines every now and then if I felt the candidate was better on the other side.

Honestly, most of the time I believed I was choosing between the lesser of two evils and it came down to which old white man felt the same I did on those two issues.

I didn't talk about my political views - even within my family. Because of course politics can be a messy discussion and can lead down the dark rabbit hole.


But then I grew up and I started to care more and understand more. And now I have a long laundry list of ideals that need to be matched if I'm going to support a candidate.

I'm still deeply concerned with Roe V. Wade, equality for women, equal pay...
But I'm also concerned with inclusivity: Black Lives Matter, LGBTQ+ rights, fairness for everyone.
Taxing the rich to make our country better
Ending poverty - no child in our country should be going to bed hungry.
Support the veterans and their families
Better justice system
Be a decent human being and have an understanding of how politics work
Of course fund libraries and education is still there, but it's taken a little bit of back seat to these other requirements.

So now I talk politics on Twitter because ever since 45, you have to. You have to talk to get through the day. You have to talk to know that you're not alone.

And if you're wondering why I'm a book blogger/librarian talking about politics on my blog - well, politics doesn't stop at the door. The #MeToo movement swept through both Kid Lit and the YA world leaving behind men I will never read again or showcase either here on the blog or in the library.

And I'm done being polite about it.

No comments: