Thursday, September 23, 2021

Review: Capture the Crown

 

* first in a new spin-off trilogy *

Princess Gemma is known for her lovely of jewels and pretty dresses. She isn't known for her work as a spy. But someone is stealing large amounts of tearstone from the mines. Gemma believes someone is planning to start a war and will be using the tearstone to make weapons. But first she has to uncover who's behind the thefts.

While undercover as a mine worker, she befriends another woman. But this woman has secrets and soon she tugs Gemma along into the conspiracy. There Gemma learns that a foreign prince is behind the theft, but not the foreign prince's brother who is being held against his will. Leo is Gemma's mortal enemy, but she's quick to realize that the enemy of my enemy might just be a friend.

But how does one trust your nemesis? 
My Thoughts: I loved this book. Jennifer Estep is a favorite author of mine. I loved the princess becoming a spy. No one would ever suspect her, which makes it perfect. But she does hear some interesting opinions about herself. I felt badly for her as the book weaves in her emotional turmoil from her childhood and how that has impacted her and her magic. I did love reading about Gemma (you see her in Kill the Queen). I loved Grimley the gargoyle and Gemma's new spy friend (I've forgotten her name, but she made me laugh). I loved the banter between Gemma and Leo. I loved Leo's sister. I even might admire Queen Maven - just a little bit. She's definitely playing the long game now and it makes me very curious to see what happens next!

Cover Thoughts: Love it
Source: My library
Library Recommendation: Highly recommended for your adult fantasy collection - as well as the previous trilogy if you don't own it.

* Hand this book to readers of Sarah Beth Durst and Sarah J Maas adult novels.

No comments: