Monday, May 17, 2021

Review: Rose Code

 

During World War Two, two girls meet up on the train heading for Bletchley Park. They have no idea how much their lives will change. They're not even sure what they'll be doing for Bletchley Park or how their efforts will be helping out during the war.

Osla, a debutant, wants people to stop thinking of her as a silly girl not capable of anything.

Mab wants to do her part - and maybe find a husband at the same time.

They end up rooming together at a local house with a family who has a daughter their age. Beth isn't terribly clever and she never stands up to her mother, but her mind works in the vest best of ways for Bletchley Park. It isn't long before Mab and Osla convince Beth to apply for a job too.

The three of them have wonderful and terrible moments. Through it all, they have each other - until their friendship falls apart. Now, years later, they come back together for one last mission.

My Thoughts: I'm a sucker for a good spy novel - and while this wasn't exactly what I imagined, I couldn't but this book down. The story had a dual timeline - one during the war and one years later right before Prince Philip married Princess Elizabeth. The three girls were also narrators. Each had secrets and each had something to prove. I loved learning more about Bletchley Park and the work they did. I liked the unlikely friendships. I really the present day story and how that came together.

* I loved the author's note and learning who the girls where based on in history. It was fascinating. 

Cover Thoughts: Love it
Source: My library
Library Recommendation: A great WWII book - fans of the era will gobble this one up. Highly recommended for your library.

No comments: