Monday, March 22, 2021

Review: Taste Test for Love

 


Liza Yang and her mother have a complicated relationship. Her mother's always trying to set her up with horrible boys. Boys that Liza would never consider dating. She dates boys on the sly - boys her mother would never pick out. She's not interested in dating Asian boys or her mother's traditional values. More than anything she wants to got to culinary school and bake. 

Liza often works in her mother's bakery. But her parents don't want that life for her. They want more for their children. Liza's older sister is perfect in her parents' eyes. Liza wishes she could be more appreciated instead for being molded into someone she's not.

It's the 5th annual baking contest at her parents' bakery. Liza isn't allowed to compete, but she and her parents have come to a comprise. She can be one of the judges for the contest. Little does she know, her mother's plan for the contest. And she's not pleased. The only way to get her mother off her back is to start dating an approved boy. But is she willing to do that?
My Thoughts: The tagline was Jane Austen meets Great British Baking Show. Which sold me on the book. And it was exactly that - and I loved it. I loved Liza. I loved the moments in the bakery and trying out new recipes. This book did make me want to bake. I loved her moments with her sister - who is a model. I especially loved their time together in New York City. I enjoyed her banter with James. I really loved the baking competition and how that turned out. I loved the friendships in this book. What a fantastic debut novel. I can't wait to read more from this author!

Cover Thoughts: Perfection
Source: My Library
Library Recommendation: Highly recommended for your school and public libraries

No comments: