Thursday, March 4, 2021

Guest Post: Childhood Loves

 


For the next few months, I'll be hosting a series of guest posts from the Class of 2K21 Books!  Enjoy!

Childhood Loves: Books Kidlit Authors Loved as Tweens by Louisa Onomé

 The books we read in our formative years shape us in indescribable ways. That appears to be the case and more when it comes to those of us who then move on to have writing careers of our own.

 Two debut middle grade authors, Payal Doshi and Shakirah Bourne, have been up and down memory lane and are here to share their favorite books from tweenhood. Whether it was a harrowing fantasy or a reflection of a strong, loving family, these books transported us to places that we won’t soon forget. They let us live out alternate versions of our lives, showed us new horizons, and gave us the opportunity to use our voices. And, in the end, is that what reading is all about?

 Here are the books that shaped us, the books we looked to when writing our 2021 debuts.

 Payal Doshi, author of Rea and the Blood of the Nectar

“As a tween, I devoured Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery, Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter, and fantasy books like The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton. What I loved about the characters in these books were that they were smart kids, mildly precocious even, but incredibly relatable. I wanted to be just like them! They lived in England, Canada and magical worlds—very different from India, where I grew up—but I was immersed in their adventures while empathizing with their struggles in making friends, dealing with bullying, loss, and complex family dynamics, even though I hadn’t faced some of those challenges myself. What stayed with me about these stories and has seeped into my writing is creating characters with flaws and insecurities but giving them the agency to eventually understand and work through them. I realized kids have the capability to comprehend difficult subjects and learn about empathy and sympathy. I also wanted to tackle these subjects in a fun and entertaining manner because those were the stories I truly adored as a kid myself!”


 

 Shakirah Bourne, author of Josephine Against the Sea

“I devoured everything Enid Blyton, especially The Naughtiest Girl in School, the Famous Five and Secret Seven series, and mysteries like Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys. I also read every R.L. Stine and Animorph book I could get my hands on. As a tween I loved being outdoors, and I was always off on my own adventures, like exploring abandoned houses and trying to find treasure–reading those books put me in a lot less danger. Now in my own writing, I enjoy having some element of mystery in my stories, and I tend to write characters who are mischievous, curious and brave. It was also important for me to show these characters with flaws, and their own insecurities and fears, not only for them to be realistic, but also so young readers can observe how they change and grow. Because I didn't see my own culture and environment reflected in those books I am determined to highlight aspects of my own culture in my stories. My goal is to make everyone wonder about the taste of tamarind balls and sugar cakes, just like I did with crumpets!”

 What stories resonated the most with you? Are these the stories you still gravitate to now? Are these the stories you recommend to young readers? The Class of 2k21 is taking what we loved from our tween years and sharing it with a new generation through our 2021 kidlit debuts. From fantasy to horror to contemporary, there’s something for everyone.

I always love hearing about books authors loved as kids. We have more guest posts coming up. Stay tuned for next month's edition.


No comments: