Monday, November 2, 2020

Review: The Assignment


Logan and Cade can not believe the words that are coming out of their favorite teacher's mouth. Their history teacher wants them to debate the meeting of Nazis where they decided upon the Final Solution - the genocide of thousands of people. 

They can't imagine debating this topic. But the teacher refuses to listen. So the two friends take the matter to the principal after coming up with an alternative assignment. 

The principal backs the teacher, although he does offer to let students choose to work on the alternative assignment. 

The decision isn't good enough. Logan and Cade can't stand by and watch this happen. But as they speak out, so do others. And many of the words are harmful and full of hate.
My Thoughts: As soon as I heard about this book, I knew it was going to be amazing. And I wasn't wrong. It was really really great and hard to put down. It was also hard to read at times. Wrong is wrong. And I wanted to hug Cade and Logan so hard for standing up for their beliefs. It's hard when you lose respect for someone you admire. This is such an important topic - especially in today's society when hate is running wild. The family dynamics were great to - learning about family history was eye opening. I  can't praise this book enough; it was so thought provoking. And I've been thinking about this book long after I've stopped reading. 

*I'm horrified to learn this book is based on a real assignment. 

Cover Thoughts: Great
Source: E-ARC from publisher

Library Recommendation: This book should be in all libraries (both school and public). It's one of those books that should be read in school and talked about widely. It would make for a great book discussion book.

My office door proudly displaces the sign from the book

No comments: