Friday, October 19, 2018

Review: Front Desk

31247008
Mia's parents work really hard, but they can't even seem to get ahead. Mia tries to help out as best she can, but after she gets fired from waitressing, her parents are at a loss. Then they hear about an opening in a motel. The could manage the hotel and live rent free. It seems too good to be true. 

And it is.

The owner of the hotel isn't nice. He goes back on his word. Mia watches the front desk while her parents spend their time cleaning the rooms. 

Mia hopes for a better life - one that doesn't rely on terrible bosses. One that allows her family to buy items that most kids have. She's struggling to fit in at school, but the weekly renters at the hotel adore her. 

Can she help her parents create a better life for their family?

My Thoughts: I loved this book - it tugged at my heartstrings. Mia and her family moved from China for a better life, but life isn't always better in America - or easy. She deals with racism, poverty, bullies, and a belief that she won't be able to make something of herself. She wants the American dream - for herself and her parents. I love how her parents helped those less fortunate - even when they didn't have much themselves. I love how Mia grew a relationship with the weekly renters. I love how she had ideas on how to make the hotel better. I loved her friendship with her new best friend. A wonderful book to share with readers to talk about injustices, equality, and living the American Dream. 

Cover Thoughts: Perfect
Source: My Library
Library Recommendation: A must have book for both school and public libraries.

1 comment:

Danielle H. said...

I read this book too and really enjoyed it. The family relationships as well as the deep friendships formed by the residents was well written and my favorite aspect of this book. I also love the cover.