Friday, October 12, 2018

Review: Breakout

Breakout
Nora's looking forward to summer vacation; school is almost over for another year. Two more things happen before the end of school - their time capsule project and mile madness. Nora can't wait to win the mile race and throw water balloons at her principle.

Then two things happen - a new faster girl moves to town two weeks before the end of school and inmates escape from the prison. Now more than ever, Nora wants to work on her reporter skills because all of this will be relevant for the time capsule.

But life when changes when the inmates aren't caught immediately. As time drags on, Nora begins to understand more about her community and more about racial tension. Will things ever return to normal?
My Thoughts: I loved this book. It's written in reports, letters, text messages, recordings, and more. I liked how life changed for everyone in town. I liked the small town and how people knew everything about each other and how gossip spread  -especially about the inmates.  I loved how Nora starts looking at the world differently. I loved the poetry from Elidee. I loved how Elidee decided to be herself. I liked learning more about the manhunt - and how it was based on true events. I love how Elidee and Nora learned from each other. A wonderful book for discussion on many topics and levels.

Cover Thoughts: Great
Source: My Library
Library Recommendation: Highly recommended for both school and public libraries.

No comments: