Thursday, September 14, 2017

Upcoming Review: Magic Misfits

Carter is a magician with morals he didn't inherit from his uncle. After a particularly heinous act, Carter realizes he's better off on his one. He runs away for a chance for a better life.

Off the train, he spots a carnival in town. But Carter's disappointed with the tricks until he meets an intriguing man. His magic is different; he's different.

Carter shows up at his magic shop. He discovers how much he likes Mr. Vernon and meets his daughter and her friends. Instantly Carter wishes to befriend the bunch. They all have their magic specialties.

Once they learn of an evil plot by the end of the carnival, they vow to take him down. Can they use magic to trick another magician?
My Thoughts: I had a hard time getting into this book (mostly  because the narrator would talk to the reader, thus pulling me out of the story). But once Carter met Mr. Vernon and showed up at the magic shop, I was hooked. I love how Mr. Vernon and Carter talked about magic and how Mr. Vernon tried to convince the boy that there really was magic in the world (just maybe not the way, he thought it would be.) I like how Carter learn that magic isn't always used as his uncle uses it. My heart ached for him - for the way he grew up and for his beliefs. But now that he's met Mr. Vernon and found friends, I think his outlook on the world will change. I loved the theme of friendship and family. I really liked the climax and the ending of this book. I'm eagerly waiting the next book in the series.

I really liked the magic tricks displayed in the book.

Cover Thoughts: Fantastic
Source: ARC from BEA
Release Date: November 21st 2017 
Library Recommendation: Grab this one for your Elementary School Libraries and your Public School Libraries! And maybe also a book on magic tricks. I have a feeling you might get asked about those after handing this book off to readers.

No comments: