Thursday, September 28, 2017

Review: In Some Other Life

Kennedy's hiding a deep dark secret: she turned down a place at the local private school because of a boy. Now three years later, she discovers her boyfriend cheating on her with her best friend. She wonders what her life would have been life if she had chosen differently.

She goes to the school begging for admittance. After her disappointment, she falls down outside steps and hits her head. When she comes to, everything in her life is different.

She's able to see her alternative life. And everything is not as it seems. The grass isn't always greener and she's desperate to go back to the way things used to be.
My Thoughts: A Sliding Doors novel - what if my life were radically different. When thinking about how her life would be better at the private school, Ivy League almost guaranteed or being best friends with the people she stalks on instagram - Kennedy never considered her family life. And it's changed for the worse. (Except for her lovable younger brother - he's the same.) I loved seeing both sides of her life. I loved her moments with the outsider Dylan, especially their banter. I loved how she realizes that her life is worse in most aspects. I love the mystery and how it turned out. I really liked Kennedy's relationship with her family and how that changed her views on which path she wanted her life to follow. I also liked how it clearly showed the pressures of an elite school and how it changes your life (both good and bad). Very relatable as there seems to be a what-if question most people have.

Cover Thoughts: Cute and understandable with the book's premise, but neither Kennedy would wear those
Source ARC for review
Library Recommendation: Grab this one for your public schools and libraries. Hand it to students in need of a break (I would think it's perfect for students choosing their colleges). 

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Nice review. I'll check this one out at my local library.
I do love the cover..to bad it doesn't apply to character.
Thanks for the heads up on the book.