Thursday, October 5, 2017

Tween Reads: Next Best Junior Chef

 * Book 1 *
Tate, Rae, Caroline, and Oliver compete to become the best junior chef. Rae makes a terrible first impression. Oliver wants to be the king of calm. Tate acted young and really nervous. Caroline wants to befriend Rae.

The contestants battle through field trips, mini challenges, and the competition. Of course by the end of the week, one contestant is eliminated.

All of them want to win the challenge, but who will survive?
My Thoughts: Great for kids who love cooking/baking reality shows. And I have to confess, their skills are better than mine. I really liked the interviews in between chapters - it made the book feel more like a reality TV show, that was captured really well. Plus the illustrations are cute. 

The perspectives switched, giving a rounded view of the event.
I love the bit about Tate's father. That made me tear up a bit. I really liked how the girls became good friends, even though they're competing against each other.

I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.

Cover Thoughts: Really Cute
Source: My Library
Library Recommendation: Great for school libraries (both middle school and elementary school) and perfect for public libraries. This one will have an audience with those who like food, like baking or cooking, like reality TV, or like drama. 

No comments: