Thursday, June 27, 2013

Review: Pretenders

 * First in a new series that comes out in October*

Each year, five freshman are picked as the most outstanding of their year. They spent all year writing in journals - journals that no one would ever read. Now, the day before sophomore year, one of the five leaks their journals.

The anonymous person simply wants to the school to realize that they're all just a bunch of fakes - that they tried to hard, that they didn't portray themselves in a truthful manner, that they weren't the best five people in the class.

Their journals go out in an email to the entire class - who can read then and judge them.

My Thoughts: When I started reading this, I didn't realize it was the first in a series, so as I neared the end of the book, I kept expecting things to wrap up and they didn't. I really liked this book - lots of drama and humor. I loved the set up of the book - with each character having their own style of journal and their unique handwriting. I liked the mix of characters, guys and girls - used to be homeschooled kids learning the public school ways. As much as I liked the story, I did forget that the journals had been leaked - I think it would have been cool to see flashbacks and the present day in the same book. All in all, a fast read that leaves me wanting more.

Cover Thoughts: The cover just changed from this

While I like this older cover better, guys might pick up the red cover and thus have more appeal to teens.
Source: From the publisher 

No comments: