Monday, April 29, 2024

Middle Grade Monday: Mystery of the Locked Rooms



Sarah and her two best friends love escape rooms. When Sarah spots a foreclosure notice on her front door, she knows everything will change. Her father has a chronic health condition and her mother's working as much as she can, but it's not enough.

West, Hannah, and Sarah remember hearing about a treasure in an old, abandoned funhouse. They decide to risk the danger and see if the treasure is real. It could be the answer to Sarah's problems. She really doesn't want to have to move and lose her friends.

Together, they find the hidden passageway inside. The first room leads them to another room in such a way that there's no way backwards. They can only move forwards. Their phones don't work and the rooms don't have much light. Can the three friends who love escape room find their way through the funhouse?  
My Thoughts: This was a super run read: lots of puzzles to figure out. I've never been to an escape room, although I've helped build a couple for my library. Reading about these rooms was really neat. I'm impressed with how Sarah, West, and Hannah did. I loved how they worked together to solve the puzzles. I love how they used their strengths and how they dealt with their weaknesses. I liked the story of the triplets and how they came together to create the funhouse. The book takes place mostly in one day. I loved all the action and the danger from the funhouse rooms. 

And even better, there's a sequel! I can't wait to see what happens next. 

Cover Thoughts: Perfect
 Source: My Library
Library Recommendation: A must have middle grade book for your school and public library collection

7 comments:

Sue Heavenrich said...

Sounds delightfully scary...

Brenda said...

This was such a fun story; happy you enjoyed it too. Great review. Happy MMGM

Greg Pattridge said...

A fun premise sure to attract many young readers. I've done one escape room, and I'd still be in there if they hadn't let me out when time was up!

Rosi said...

This sounds like such a good book. I'll bet kids will just love it. I'm going to hunt down a copy myself. Thanks for the review.

Kasey @ The Story Sanctuary said...

This sounds like a fun one! Having an escape room at your library also sounds awesome. :)

Valinora Troy said...

I really like escape room s and stories about them even more! This author has been on my TBR for a while, it's time I got one of her books! Thanks so much for the recommendation, added to my TBR!

Natalie Aguirre said...

I've never been in an escape room either. But you've got me curious to read this book. Thanks.