Thursday, September 17, 2020

Review: You Should See Me in a Crown

You Should See Me in a Crown
Liz Lightly, a self proclaimed wallflower, has her life figured out. She's going to her mother's alma matter on a scholarship. And she's going to let herself shine in college, not her small hometown.

But when the scholarship falls through, she's devastated. Sure, she has a back-up plan, but that's not really going to cut it.

Then her brother gives her a piece of advice. Run for Prom Queen and win. There's a scholarship attached to it. The more she things about it, the more she realizes it's her only option. She's going to have to go from wallflower to the spotlight. She's not sure she's ready for that, but luckily she has some friends willing to help.
My Thoughts: I really loved this book. I admired Liz for stepping out into the spotlight and going after her future. I loved how she fixed a broken friendship during her volunteer hours for the running. I did like how the prom team had to volunteer a certain number of hours. And I loved Liz's prom slogan. I admired her for confronting racism. And how that turned out. I enjoyed her family, especially her brother.  And I adored her new friendship (and more) with Mack. I loved their story. There's so much in this book to love. I can't wait to see what Leah Johnson writes next!

Cover Thoughts: Charming
Source: My Library
Library Recommendation: A must have f/f romance for your school and public library collection!

If You Like:

1 comment:

proseandkahn said...

I loved this one as well. I read it with my ears and the narrator was terrific. I adored Liz's voice.