Thursday, February 6, 2020

World Read Aloud Day


Yesterday was World Read Aloud Day.

I used to hate reading aloud, but now it's part of my everyday job. I used to feel very self conscious. I'm not great at pronouncing words I'm unfamiliar with, but kids don't care about that. And it shows them that everyone stumbles, which is a nice message. 

And now I also understand the importance of it. Reading aloud isn't just for small children; it benefits everyone.

You can read more about why the day was founded here.

You can read more about reading aloud and why it matters here.

Part of my job involves storytimes, which I used to be intimidated by.
 I feel more confident after four years. I've learned a lot and I'm still learning.

Picking stories to share for storytime is different than picking books to read with your children.

Here are a few tips for picking books to read with your children:
1. Let them pick out a few books
2. Take a look at the new books on the library shelf - we're always getting new books
3. Vary your reading topics
4. Read books with children who look like your children and books that don't look like your children. (This fosters the idea of everyone is welcome and everyone is valued)
5. Find a favorite author or illustrator and read their books.
6. Ask your librarian for suggestions. They read A LOT

Here are few tips for reading together:
1. Use voices for different characters.
2. Ask questions about the story - open ended questions are best, but it's great to ask about animal sounds, colors, or counting. The possibilities are endless.
3. Ask questions about the illustrations
4. Predict what might happen next.
5. Ask if they liked the book and talk about why or why not.
6. Create a reading ritual - read together before bed or in a special reading nook. Make reading time special and memorable.

Reading is important. But you don't have to spend all day reading (unless you want to). 15 minutes together every day makes a huge difference.

No comments: