Saturday, February 8, 2020

Movie Review: Miss Americana




Taylor Swift's documentary made lots of great points about women and society, eating disorders, mental health, happiness, and learning how to speak up for your beliefs.

It was really intriguing to watch and yes - I'm a huge fan. 

Small Pieces:
I loved the musical performance snippets.

I loved watching her work out the song lyrics and music

I loved the peeks into her journals. I love that she used quill and ink for a while.

Big Pieces:
I admired how she changed herself from being the good girl seeking everyone's approval to thinking for herself to standing up for her beliefs. It's not easy, but she did it.

I love how she opened up about social media and looking at her body and how that made her feel. I love that she talked about the spiral of hate and how she stopped looking at photographs of her for her mental well being. I love that she talked about how damaging it was to spend time looking at herself through the eyes of society - and how she stopped eating and exercised all the time. And came to the conclusion that it wasn't healthy. her body wasn't healthy and neither was her mind. So she took note and changed.

I felt terrible for her about the whole Kanye debacle, but I love that she came out the other side with new music because that was the one thing in her life she could control. And I loved how she used this horribleness to find happiness on her own terms.

My heart broke for her as she talked about the court case - where a person in the musical industry groped her. She had seven witnesses and a photograph as evidence. And still it was horrific. She described the process as dehumanizing and even though she won the case, it didn't feel like a victory. And what happens when the woman isn't believed? I loved the moment when she opened up about that in a concert one year later.

This is the moment that everything changed for her. 

She listened. She educated herself. And she started speaking up.

Times Up.

And it's amazing. I'm glad she spoke up. I'm glad that she share her political views, even though the men on her team didn't want to her to. I'm glad she spoke about not just getting out and voting, but who she was voting for and why she was voting for that person. I'm glad that she talked about the values that mattered to her. 

Even though her first political goal failed, she's not giving up. She's doubling down. In listening to her new song Only the Young, I'm all fired up too.  I'm ready to help.

Where do we start? What's next?

No comments: