Thursday, May 2, 2019

Classic Review: Make Lemonade

Make Lemonade (Make Lemonade, #1)
LaVaughn's determined to go to college; she'll be the first person in her family to attend. She'll need money to get there - so she finds a babysitting job. 

Answering an ad, she meets seventeen year old Jolly with two children. They don't have much, but the kids take to LaVaughn immediately. 

She tries to help Jolly improve her life, but Jolly isn't interested in taking advice from a 14 year old who's a little judgmental about her choices. Still Jolly doesn't have that many options. Between the two of them, they learn life lessons both outside and inside the classroom.

My Thoughts: I've been meaning to read this book for years. When I realized I needed to order an updated cover for my Teen Collection at the library, it was time. This is the start of a trilogy and a novel in verse before it was popular.

It's sad and yet hopeful. My heart ached for LaVaughn, Jolly, and the two kids. Those kids were a handful, but they seemed cute. I'm curious to see what happens next.

Cover Thoughts: This one is so much better.
Source: My Library
Release Date: 1993 

No comments: