Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Required Reading for High School Students

This week's topic is school related and our choice. I chose Required Reading for High School Students. I hear a lot about books taught in high school that probably should be taught in college instead. I hear about teachers analyzing books to death making students not like reading even if they did like that book. As a public librarian, my job is to hand out books for fun reading, but who says these books can't be used to teach? So hear are the books I think all high school students should read.
meme from The Broke and the Bookish 
SpeakThis Is Where It EndsAll We Have Is NowThirteen Reasons WhyKeep Holding On
Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)WintergirlsFlygirlI'll Meet You ThereLife, After

Nonfiction 
Let Me Play: The Story of Title IX: The Law That Changed the Future of Girls in AmericaYankee Doodle Gals: Women Pilots Of World War IIAlmost Astronauts: 13 Women Who Dared to Dream

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Love this list!! I totally think ALL high school kids should read Speak. It's such an important book that covers such an important topic. And Keep Holding On!! Such an underrated book about bullying. I related to that book so hard. The victims AND the bullies need to read that.

Mariela said...

I am so dying to read Dumplin! I cant believe I haven't bought it yet! Going to Amazon right now to see if I find a good price for it.
http://justusbookblog.blogspot.com/2016/08/top-ten-tuesday-sjavascript:void(0)chool-reads.html

Giovanna said...

Great Top Ten! I loved reading Speak years ago, and I do think that it is a great book for teens boy or girl. I haven't read This is Where It Ends, but I have heard lot's of great things! My Top Ten Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

I'd actually love to see more non-fiction titles added to required reading lists for high schoolers (outside the standard Walden). It's such an underappreciated genre (but definitely one of my faves)!