Monday, April 3, 2023

Review: Iveliz Explains it All

 


How do you speak up when it feels like no one is listening? One girl takes on seventh grade while facing mental health challenges, and must find her voice to advocate for the help and understanding she deserves.

Listen up:
The end of elementary school?
Worst time of my life.
And the start of middle school?
I just wasn't quite right.
But this year?
YO VOY A MI.

Seventh grade is going to be Iveliz's year. She's going to make a new friend, help her abuela Mimi get settled after moving from Puerto Rico, and she is not going to get into any more trouble at school . . .

Except is that what happens? Of course not.

...summary from the publisher

My Thoughts: I read this book because it's a Newbery Honor Book. But I confess, it took me some time to get into it. And then I was hooked. I will say that I was confused about the father. Once I understood what was really happening, everything made sense. I loved the novel in verse - it is one of my favorite forms. I felt terrible for Ive; I just wanted to wrap her up in a big hug. There was so much going on in her brain. I loved the conversations about mental health - with her grandmother, with her friends, and with her therapist. This book gave me ALL the feels, I cried at the end.

This is one of my favorite parts of the book:

And I do love the set up - how it looks like a journal AND the illustrations on some of the pages.


Cover Thoughts: I understand it after reading it, but it doesn't do much for me
Source: My Library
Star Rating: 4.5 Stars (Mostly because I almost put it down)
Library Recommendations: A must have book for your library collection. 

No comments: