Thursday, April 6, 2023

Graphic Novel Review: Terry's Crew



Terry's headed to a new school where the kids are both smart and rich. Terry's smart but his family is not rich. Terry has a Big Cream Plan to keep him focused. He wants to be a multihyphenate - someone who is great at football and art and whatever else he desires.

He has a hard time fitting into his new school. There's a boy who tries to befriend him - but he makes Terry bully another kid. While Terry does slap the book out of the other kid's hand, he feels bad about it. That's not the way he wants to go about making friends.

Instead he becomes friends with the boy he hurt and another girl. The three of them, labeled misfits, become their own crew. 
My Thoughts: I loved this middle grade debut. I loved Terry's family - how supportive and tight they were. I loved that he had people from the neighborhood looking out for him. I admired how he apologized to the person he hurt and grew from that experience. I loved how he was determined to prove the teacher wrong who said he wasn't going to be great. Terry walks to the beat of his own drum. I hope this book is just the beginning for Terry. I 'd love to read more about him and his crew

Cover Thoughts: Cute
Source: My Library
Library Recommendations: A must have for your school and public library collections
Rating: 5 stars.



 

No comments: