Thursday, February 2, 2023

Review: Controlled Burn

 

Maia's lucky. Or so they say. 

She's lucky:
She had an inkling something was wrong
She's lucky she smelled smoke
She's lucky she pulled her sister to safety

But Maia would also tell you that she caused the fire. That she feels guilty for wasting time. That she froze before pulling her sister out of the house. That she wishes she had been braver. 

When her parents drop her off at her grandparent's house for the summer, Maia can't help but feel it's her punishment. But she decides to attempt to conquer her fears and learn to control her anxiety. Can she become a braver version of herself? 
My Thoughts: I really loved this book - it was both heartbreaking and heartwarming. I wanted to wrap Maia up in a hug. I felt so badly for her. But I am also so proud of her - for so many reasons. I loved her adventures at her grandparents house - her new friends - and finding her braver self. I loved the moments in the box fort. I loved the moments with the dog and the deer. I love how Maia began to understand her grandfather. I tore through this book, not wanting it to end, but also wanting Maia to find comfort and to forgive herself. Grief and healing are in the forefront of this novel. I also loved the nature moments and how Maia found herself loving the outdoors.

Cover Thoughts: Spooky
Source: My Library
Library Recommendation: A must have book for your library's collection

No comments: