Friday, February 9, 2018

Review: Restart

Restart
To say Chase isn't the nicest person is a huge understatement; he's downright mean. Or at least he used to be. After falling off the roof and hitting his head, Chase doesn't remember anything. He's not sure why people cower in front of him at school or why his friends act like Neanderthals.

It's not hard to guess that he used to be the biggest bully in school - but he's changed. As Chase navigates the halls of middle school, he becomes interested in things besides football, which he can't play due to his head injury. He joins the video club, under protest of some of the members.

Chase's new actions gain him new friends but leave his old friends feeling neglected. Could this be a permanent change?
My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this book. I loved the premise. I liked the story told from perspectives of Chase and those he bullied. I liked watching Chase and Mr. Solway build a relationship. I really liked Chase's interactions with others from his friends to victims of his past bullying. I felt the other characters were brave and trusting. I don't know if I could be that trusting. The ending seems a tiny bit unrealistic, but it was a nice touch. I hated Chase's downfall, but enjoyed him struggle past it. Another hit for Gordon Korman.

Cover Thoughts: Great
Source: My Library
Read for: Cybils' short list
Library Recommendation: A must have for all public and school libraries.

No comments: