Monday, February 2, 2009

Chatting with Allison Van Diepen

1. What made you decide to write?
I’ve always been a dreamer, and have spent much of my life watching made-up movies in my head. That made me a storyteller from an early age. I wrote my first full-length manuscript when I was fourteen, and I knew then that I wanted to be a published author one day. Writing novels is simply the most exciting thing I’ve ever done, and I’m hooked for life.

2. Where do you write best?
At home at my computer. When I lived in New York City, I wrote in cafes to get out of my tiny apartments. I work full time as a high school teacher in Ottawa, Canada, and write evenings, weekends, and – thank God – summer vacations. Now I have my own office at home. I use music to put me in a certain frame of mind. Raven was written to romantic ballads and frenetic dance music.


3. Is there a topic you’ve always wanted to write about?
Time travel’s definitely in the cards at some point. I’ve had this story about a girl going back to Ancient Rome in my head for years. I hope I write it soon.
Sounds Intriguing

4. What’s one book you wish you’d written?
MONSTER by Walter Dean Myers. It’s a riveting story written in screenplay format.

Great Book - love the format


5. What was the last book you’ve read that you’ve been recommending to everyone?
BEHIND THE EYES by Francisco Stork, a powerful coming of age story of a Mexican-American teen. I’m really looking forward to his next novel, MARCELO IN THE REAL WORLD, which is already getting starred reviews.

6. How do you get your ideas? Do you use real events in your novels and if so, can you describe one?
STREET PHARM and SNITCH were inspired by the happenings in the Brooklyn high school where I taught; I couldn’t have written those books if I weren’t there, in the thick of it. RAVEN comes from a far more personal place, especially in terms of Nicole’s family situation. I think most writers channel some of their personal demons into their writing, whether they’re willing to admit it or not.

An example of a real event would be the riot in SNITCH. It was parent-teacher conference day, and all of the students were let out at noon (normally their schedules were stratified so they didn’t all leave the school at once). A fight broke out in the midst of the crowd, and what proceeded was a massive brawl. It spilled out onto the streets, stopped cars, and even involved drivers. I watched in awe from a third floor window with a security guard standing beside me. She turned to me and said, “You think I’m getting involved in that?”

7. Your new book, RAVEN is coming out. Can you tell us a little bit about it?
RAVEN is the story of Nicole, who works underage at a dance club and is part of a breaker crew called the Toprocks. Nicole’s brother was a high achiever who became a meth addict and that situation has shattered her family. She seeks comfort in Zin, the head of her breaker crew, whom she’s madly in love with. But Zin has a dark secret… here's the book trailer



This looks amazing!

8. Are you working on another project?

Always! I’m writing two books for MIRA’s new YA line, due out in 2010. They reflect my lighter side (I really do have one, I promise).

9. Name a celebrity, you’d love to have as a BFF.
I can’t decide between Kathy Griffin and Eckhart Tolle.

10. Listing of your favorites:
Type of shoe: I don’t know anything about shoes, as my friends always point out. So I guess my answer is sneakers.
Candy: Marshmallow hearts.
Pizza topping: Pepperoni. How’s that for original?
Genre of books: These days, YA urban fantasy. But I’ll read anything that hooks me in the first few pages.
Singer and/or Song: Right now I’m listening to Dangerous by Kardinal Offishall.
Restaurant: Sweetgrass, a bistro here in Ottawa that makes Aborginal and Caribbean cuisine.
TV show: Dexter and 24.
Color: Blue like South Pacific waters.

Look for Raven out February 10th and thanks for chatting with us Allison!

No comments: